On this page you will find the tools and resources that make our online business work. You can’t run an online business without great tools. These tools and resources will help you do things faster, easier, and help make you more money online!
*We are currently updating this page, please excuse the mess. 🙂
Our Top 5 Favorite Tools
1) Flip Your Life – Learn how to make money online, just like we did! This is our online course and membership community where we show you exactly how to start an online business (even if you don’t have a clue where to begin)!
2) Leadpages – Leadpages lets you create sales pages that convert, fast. Awesome templates and backed by data from thousands of internet marketers. Also a great tool for email collection, delivery, and more. Leadpages saves you time and makes you money. One of the most important tool in our toolbox.
3) Aweber – You need to be collecting emails from day 1 of your online business. Aweber is the best email collection company out there. We like it better than Mailchimp and other companies. Collect emails, organize your lists, automate your newsletter, and more. Simply put: Aweber wa the backbone of our online business when we started and can be yours too. Highly recommended.
4) Camtasia – The program we use to capture our screen for our tutorials, courses, and training videos! Makes amazing screen captures with high quality sound and video. Saves in a number of formats and/or straight to youtube.
5) Canva.com – Canva is an amazing tool for creating incredible images! You can quickly create images form templates, add text, banners, buttons, etc.! Has built in templates for all the social media networks to create perfect images for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest and more!
Epic Blog Posts
How to Make Money by Jeff Rose of GoodFinancialCents.com – This guide has everything you need to know about how to make money. Whether you want fast cash or to build long-term income, this post will tell you how to do it.
- Jeff Rose is a financial advisor turned blogger turned entrepreneur. He is the author of Soldier of Finance, and has earned over $1 million of dollars blogging on his website, Good Financial Cents. He writes popular columns that help people manage their money in magazines like Forbes, Entrepreneur, and U.S. News and World Report.
How to Start a Podcast by Pat Flynn of Smart Passive Income – This is the definitive free guide for starting a podcast. It’s the exact guide we used to start The Flipped Lifestyle Podcast. If you are starting a podcast, this is where you want to be!
- Pat Flynn is the host of The Smart Passive Income Podcast. Pat is one of the most popular and respected podcasts/entrepreneurs online. Pat was instrumental to our introduction to online business, and has helped thousands get started online.
Text Expander – This app lets you save snippets of text and quickly insert those snippets into emails or posts with shortcode. Saves you a ton of time! Type in common answers to frequently asked questions, and quickly reply by typing your shortcode!
Aweber – The engine that helped us build a six figure business. We use AWeber to collect emails, deliver lead magnets, and send messages to our subscribers. It also lets you automate your messages so subscribers get updates automatically. We have tried all of the major email collections services, AWeber is the best of the bunch! Perfect for anyone starting out. Click here to try it for $1.
Ontraport – is an all-in-one integrated platform that delivers essential business features, including a powerful CRM system, membership sites, one-click WordPress hosting, outstanding email delivery, payment processing, direct-mail printing, affiliate management, and our innovative business automation suite. It’s like AWeber on steroids. It lets you track everything anyone does on your site. Great for advanced business owners who are looking to take their business to the next level!
Graphics / Logos
Logonerds – We love logonerds. They have done most of our logos. You can get a professionally designed logo for around $27. You won’t find a better deal online.
Morguefile – Great site for royalty free images. If you are looking for free images, this is a great spot to start.
Canva.com – The best photo editing tool online. Great for adding text to images, creating Facebook ads, making images for Pinterest and more. Who needs photoshop! 🙂
MacBook Pro – We were PC people until recently. We always thought “why would I pay more for a MAC?” We were wrong. We highly recommend switching to a MAC as soon as you can afford one. It makes your life so much easier when you own an online business. Faster. More powerful. Never messes up, locks up, or freezes up. It really is the best computer for working online! We use the Apple MacBook Pro 15.4-Inch Laptop with Retina Display.
Laptop stand – We use the Twelve South HiRise laptop stand to make more room on our desk and protect our necks from strain. This one is adjustable, high quality, and works great (we have 2 of them).
Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 for Mac – When working at our desks, we use this wireless keyboard. It is amazing. Super light weight, great buttons, and it is solar powered (no batteries required)!
Magic Mouse – Another awesome accessory. This is the best wireless mouse for the MAC. Super responsive and has touch controls on the top of the mouse.
iPad Mini – The mini is the best tablet for the money. We don’t just use it for that though, this is our go to device for recording videos as well. We have three of them!
Chromebook – We keep Chromebooks around for when we need to get some work done in an environment not suitable for our MacBook Pros. The MacBooks are too expensive to use in places like sitting by the pool, driving around town, or outside while watching the kids. The Chromebook is an inexpensive alternative that lets us get work done on the go without having to worry about damaging our main computers. They also work GREAT in direct sunlight (get the matte finish).
Hosting / Website
• ChildTheme – Sixteen Nine
o Gravity Forms
o Buddypress Ads
• Our Video
Podcasting / Audio
o Pop Filter
• Shock Mounts
• Audio Jungle
Sales Pages / Squeeze Page / Landing Pages
Product Distribution & Shopping Carts
Virtual Assistants / Contract Work
• Virtual Staff Finder
• S3 – Hosting
• Camcorder we use
• Wireless Lavilier Mic
• Mini Projectors (for live events)
• Our Video
• Joe’s Course
Courses we recommend
How to Sell on Amazon by Jessica and Cliff Larrew – Jessica and Cliff are the recognized experts on selling physical products through the Amazon.com FBA (Fulfilled by Amazon) program.
Self-publishing Your Book by Shelley Hitz – Shelley helps authors self-publish their books and market them online! No need for an agent or publishing company. You can do it all yourself and Shelley show’s you how step-by-step!
Books we Love
I had to start this section with my personal favorite, Start With Why by Simon Sinek. I love this book because it focuses on developing a long-term vision and why your business is meaningful to customers. Simon Sinek gives lots of examples of very well-known and successful companies and explains why they’re successful in very simple, yet powerful terms. This is the book we ALWAYS turn to when we start a new venture. A must-read for current and aspiring entrepreneurs.
The 4-Hour Workweek by Tim Ferriss is a classic book for starting out in online business (if books written in 2009 can be considered classics?) This is one of the first books we read when starting our online business. Tim tells his personal story, describes the “New Rich”, and tells readers how they can break free from their 9-5 jobs.Very inspirational.
Crush It! by Gary Vaynerchuk is one of the first books Shane read and used its content to convince me we were destined to start an online business. Gary Vaynerchuk always seems to be one step ahead when it comes to online business. We enjoyed reading his success story and his tips for entrepreneurs.
We also enjoyed The Thank You Economy by Gary Vaynerchuk. This book is all about how times have changed in business because the customer truly matters in the age of social media. Gary Vaynerchuk also discusses how marketers can use social media to their advantage to interact with their customers.
Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook is easily Gary V.’s best work, in our opinion. This one is truly outstanding and a must read for anyone who uses social media in their business. He discusses the changing nature of social media and how to make the most impact on your followers using frequent “jabs” (relationship building tactics) and occasional “right hooks” (selling tactics). There are many examples used throughout – this is one you’ll read at least twice.
The Pumpkin Plan by Mike Michalowicz is another essential read for anyone who owns their own business. The author relates business strategies to strategies for growing a prize-winning giant pumpkin. It sounds a little crazy, but you’ll be truly glad you read this book.
I finished this book in about a day. The $100 Startup by Chris Guillebeau is another great read, especially for people who are just getting started in online business. Chris tells lots of stories of people who have found ways to flip their lifestyle and stop trading time for money. My favorite part of this book was the part where he discusses tips for writing an FAQ page for your website. Great stuff.
Some of the resources listed on this page contain affiliate links. If you choose to purchase one of them, we will receive a small percentage of that sale for the referral. For more information, see our Disclosures page.