Hey y’all, on today’s Flipped Lifestyle podcast we help Heather and Topher grow their brand new Ukelele membership! Their entire marriage, Heather and Topher have worked together by supporting each other’s interests and careers.
Topher is a musician that uses his talents to entertain at live concerts and Heather has spent time in the coaching world online.
When the pandemic hit in March it caused a major disruption in their lives. With live venues and gatherings cancelled all over the country, Topher had to stop playing music live. Then they found The Flipped Lifestyle Podcast! Heather joined and heard our story of a Husband and wife building a business together! She immediately joined the Flip Your Life Community and posted in the forums asking “Do you think a Ukelele website for kids would work?” Shane replied an emphatic YES and helped them create their launch plan.
Now Heather and Topher have launched a growing membership of over 60 families from around the world! Learn how they did on today’s Flipped Lifestyle Podcast! Enjoy the show!
What You’ll Learn:
Success leaves clues. (5:00)
How to run your new membership site. (12:30)
Stepping out in faith. (21:30)
What happens next? (24:35)
What are your roles in your business? (30:30)
Heather and Topher owned a brick and morter retail store for about 10 years. When they closed that down in 2016 Heather stepped into the online coaching space by giving business strategy to women entrepreneurs. Topher is a singer/songwriter who has been working with a lot of art integration in schools. However, Heather and Topher really wanted to an online business they could do together.
Success leaves clues.
Heather and Topher were looking at 8 hour videos on the internet to help them find an idea for their online business. When they found our 30-minute idea course it hit them! They were going to use their God-given talents and experiences to come up with their online business.
Over the years Topher had been asked by many of the parents of the kids he was performing for for lessons for the kids. Tohper saw himself as a performer not a teacher. As time went on the number of requests only grew. In the past couple months before he saw Flipped Lifestyle he began thinking that maybe he should start teaching kids online.
One of the big parts of that training is realizing that success leaves clues. If people keep asking you for something that’s a big clue that is pulling you toward that or that you have enough expertise to do that thing!
It wasn’t just Topher’s talents that brought them to their online business idea though. It was taking just as much of Heather’s skills and her knowing that parents and kids being isolated during the COVID-19 pandemic would be hard on them. Their online business would help those kids and keep them from being isolated by learning those new skills, resilience, and meditation. It really applies to all times – nit just during a pandemic. It was the first time Heather and Topher were coming together and the pieces of the business were meshing perfectly in place. Before, the retail store was Heather’s and Topher helped. The music business was Topher’s and Heather helped. Now, they could do something they were truly passionate about – together.
And, that is how kidsukuleleclub.com was born!
How to run your new membership site.
Heather loves running 5-day challenges! So, to get things started she did a 5 day “Kids Ukulele Fast.” It was 5 steps to learn their first ukulele song for kids ages 6-10. They began marketing that right away. heather has also worked with Kajabi so Heather and Topher used Kajabi’s 28-day trial to see if the membership was going to work for them. (After all, it only takes four or five members it pays for itself).
It went from their idea to getting paid members in only 2 1/2 weeks! They had 72 people go through their free challenge and they ended up with 27 members – a 37% conversion rate! (And, it was ALL organic)! Then, through their $1 trial they have had 85% of those people stay with them. They have now done a second launch and gotten their email list up to 1,300. Altogether, they now have 61 members!
Stepping out in faith.
If you’ve ever been to one of our member calls you know most of it is just rapid-fire questions from our members that we answer. Most questions boil down to: “do you think this will work?” We know a lot of tactics. We know a lot of strategies. But here’s the thing: we don’t know if anything will work until you push send. You have to step out in faith and try different things!
What happens next?
Heather and Topher’s next goal is to get to 100 members and at 61 members already they will be there soon. So what happens next?
Here’s what we think:
- Heather and Topher maybe do a third round of beta members and then stop opening and closing their membership. That is super important!
- Challenges are good but they need to make sure the membership is already there and flowing in customers steadily.
- The ads that they can run to their membership will be super powerful. They need to go back to the $1 trial for the ads. This will give the price of least resistance into their sales funnel. If they are getting leads at 62 cents – that dollar trial almost covers the lead. Their membership right now $29/month. When people take the $1 trial there needs to be a video on the Thank You page that future-paces how awesome the membership is going to be. Use a one click up-sell at the bottom of the page to “reward people who commit.” The button upgrades people to the quarterly plan for $50 – that would give 1 month free every 3 months.
- Wait for the next 90 days when someone pays again. Use that money to go back into ads to get more trials. Let’s say 10 people join the dollar trial and 2 people take the quarterly up-sell. You then have $100 for ads and 8 people going through on-boarding for that first month retention. So you’re still going to get 4 or 5 new monthly members at the end and giving yourself a raise the next month. By doing the up-sell right there you’re longer-term members and the money they give up front helps fuels the ads for the next ten members!
What are your roles in your business?
Heather and Topher are still just starting out and need to figure out what each other’s tasks are going to be. This is something we obviously deal with on a daily basis – it’s a life-long struggle. There are going to be seasons where you think you have it figured and others where you realized you didn’t.
There’s two books I would get at the beginning of anyone’s membership journey:
- ‘Vivid Vision” by Cameron Herold. This will help you decide, “what do you want to shape this membership into?” Getting on the right side of the vision together is going to be critical.
- “Who” by Geoff Smart. This book helps you build teams. Right now Heather and Topher are a team of 2 (plus whoever they have helping them). Every job in company needs clearly defined roles and this book tells you how to do that! This will help you draw lines clarify expectations for each person.
If you can do these things you can maximize your content and minimize your conflict and keep moving toward the right goals – together!
Find us on:
We would love to have you as a member of The Flip Your Life Community! We believe you have God-give talents and experiences you can use to start an online business! All you need is 100 people to pay you $50/m online to make $5,000/m, $60,000/y! Let us help you start build and grow a membership of your own. We offer a 30-day FREE trial to all new members. Click here to learn more: https://flippedlifestyle.com/flipyourlife